To see if my game would work on mobiles, I decided to concentrate on mobile deployment for this week.
The big problems that I encountered this week was the very slow loading times when changing between scenes and that frame rates differ from one device to another ( Samsung Galaxy S is around 30-35 fps but on Samsung Galaxy Tab the frame rates were halved ). It’s a good thing that I encountered them early as it would guide my decisions for optimization in the future.
Here’s the devlog video for Week 3:
Here are the finished tasks in list form:
- Tested game to Samsung Galaxy S and Samsung Galaxy Tab
- Added mobile controls
- Mobile controls now work even in the Unity editor
- Sprinting gradually increases speed
- Sliding is now brought back
- Added a menu scene
- Fixed bug where two simultaneous touches affects the camera in a weird way
- Added picked up items GUI
- Picked up objects are respawned when the player dies
- Changed the camera position in reverse mode
- Added blob shadow projector
- Fixed bug where camera isn’t turning anymore after respawn
For next week I shall be reducing the polygons on my character models and work on a new background and obstacle models.