I recently realized that I will be needing an extra hand if I want my game to have the promised 100+ levels before the planned release date.
The solution to the problem is opening up development to level creators by having a system in place that would make level creation easy to set up and use.
After a lot of thought, I came up with a process that would make use of Google Drive.
The Basic Idea
A copy of the game is uploaded to a publicly shared folder in Google Drive. From here, collaborators can run and play the game on their browsers.
Each collaborator is then assigned their own levels folder where they could add and edit levels using their own Google Drive accounts. When they’re done, they can just refresh the game to see the new changes.
One of the coolest thing about Flambe is its animation pipeline. Using a tool called Flump, it takes animations made in Adobe Flash, converts them to texture atlases, and then translates the animation data into a json or xml file which Flambe can recreate the animations inside its engine.
This enables the creation of cool looking vector animations such as this:
Unfortunately, this is the only animation pipeline that Flambe has. Which means it does not support spritesheet animations out of the box.
I’ve created this tool as an alternative to using Flump. It is a fairly basic system that uses single separate images as frames for the animation. The structure was inspired by Flixel’s sprite animation system which I have used a couple of years back.
Like I said it is pretty basic. I’m planning to add a spritesheet support in the future but for now it does what it is supposed to.
Note: This game has already been improved and renamed to Pop Puff and Away! Check out the latest version here!
I cringe every time I watch people play my LD entry.
I saw people taking a long time to figure out what to do. Some never got it at all. Those who did, saw potential. Potential that could have been realized if it were not for the horrible design decisions that I’ve made in an effort to make it more fun.
I wished I had more time so I could have improved it some more.
But that’s the thing. I realized that without Ludum Dare’s really short time limit, I would not have finished a game, I would not have gotten feedback and criticisms, and I would not have learned anything at all.
The trick is to accept what you’ve made, learn from it, and move on.
I have been working on Escape of the Minibots on and off for the past four years. I halted development last 2013 when I got a job at Indigo Entertainment but picked it up the development again recently.
I’ve made a lot of improvements on the engine, level editor and replay feature. I’ve also managed to squeeze in some visual upgrades as well such as scanlines and level borders as seen below.
But probably the biggest news is I finally managed to create a logo for the game. Finally!
It turned out pretty great that I went ahead and redesigned the logo for my site as well:
More will be coming soon. Hopefully, this sprint would last long enough so we could see release on Steam Greenlight in the coming weeks.
After a long time of searching through emails, I finally found the source code for SudokuBoy, a game that I made in Assembly Language back when I was in college.
The reason for unearthing it from its grave is because for the past few weeks, I have been getting requests from people (I’m guessing mostly students) to share the source.
Keep in mind that I did not make any changes to the code. I am not even sure if it is the latest or even if it works at all. But at least, I am hoping that these snippets can help people get an idea on how such a game can be built in a very low level language such as Assembly.
To those interested, I have included the source code inside the downloadable zip file found at the bottom of this page. Please do not forget to read the read-me for details and instructions.
Normal AI – Your basic AI behavior. Picks attacks where he thinks he can win.
Cautious AI – Only selects attacks that has a higher chance of winning
Defensive AI – Amasses huge armies before making their attack
Aggressive AI – Likes to take risks
To see what type of AIs the enemies have, just press the pause button
Feedback I am looking for
Is the AI too easy or difficult?
Can you easily see the strategies the AI are using?
Short Description of the game Dice Kingdoms is a game based on one of my favorite browser games called DiceWars where you capture other territories through dice rolls. Kinda like a simplified version of Risk.
This article is a part of a series of posts detailing the development of the game DiceKingdoms. The aim is to demystify the world of game development by showing what goes on when making a game. Effort is made so that everything is easily understandable by non-developers but still contain some juicy technical stuff for those who are.
So the first step to recreating DiceWars is that we need to lay out the land.
For this game, we use hexagonal tiles instead of squares. This means that laying them out side by side won’t give us the results we are aiming for:
If we want the tiles to look similar to the one in DiceWars, we need to change the placement a bit. It’s a good thing that I learned a thing or two from my game Complexitivity on hexagonal tile placement.
The trick is to reposition the tiles depending on their column number. If a tile is on an even column number we reposition them a little bit to the left and up. The diagram above shows 2 and 5 have been re-positioned because they are on column number 2. Just repeat this on all the columns and we will end up with: